Meon Carolyn (Carol) Shand
Shand was elected as a director of Istar on 22 Feb, 1999. Istar is a limited liability company (LTD) and a charitable trust with tax-exempt status that has been importing the abortion drug, RU486 into New Zealand since 2001.
Participated in Istar-Funded Research
Circa 2005, Dr. Sally Rose (UOW), abortionists Carol Shand and Margaret Sparrow, and abortion-business worker, Ann Simmons were members of the research team for a study entitled "Audit of medical termination of pregnancy data" which was funded by Istar and facilitated by the Womens Health Research Centre (UOW) at University of Otago, Wellington. Istar is the company that imports the abortion drug, RU486 into New Zealand. Both Shand and Sparrow are officers of the company.
Publications related to the research include:
- Rose SB, Shand C, Simmons A. Mifepristone- and misoprostol-induced mid-trimester termination of pregnancy: A review of 272 cases. Aus NZ J Obs Gyn 2006;46(6):479-85.
- Shand C, Rose SB, Simmons A, Sparrow MJ. Introduction of early medical abortion in New Zealand: An audit of the first 67 cases. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2005;45(4):316-20.
Australasian College of Venereologists
Doctors for Sexual Abuse Care
Shand worked as president of Doctors for Sexual Abuse Care (DSAC) from 1990 - 1991. She has served as a director of the company since 3 January, 1997 and owns 72.41% of the company. The company sells Azithromycin (Zithromax), "for any patient who is at risk of infection as a result of a sexual assault." The drug is fully subsidised by PHARMAC. The company is registered at the same address to which abortion-drug importing company, Istar is registered.
Level J Unit Abortion Business
New Zealand Order of Merit
On 5 September, 2008, Shand received the Insignia of a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit, for services to women’s health. The website of the Governor General stated of Shand,
- "[She] has been working for and with victims of sexual assault and child sexual abuse and in the fields of women’s health and sexual health medicine for more than 40 years. She has conducted pioneering work in establishing sexual abuse care and co-authored the standard textbooks on these subjects."
As at 11 November, 2009, Shand was a Certifying Consultant in the Te Mahoe Unit, Wellington Hospital, Wellington South. Certifying consultants have the job of approving or disapproving a mother being permitted to have her pre-born child killed by abortion.
Shand has been a member of the National Advisory Committee on the prevention of Child Abuse Working Party and is a founding trustee of the Wellington Sexual Assault HELP Foundation. She is a past president of the Wellington Obstetrics and Gynaecology Society and the Australasian College of Sexual Health Physicians, of which she became a Fellow in 1997.
- Charities Commission website: Officer Details: Carol Shand, 16 June 2007 (accessed on 9 May, 2010)
- Womens Health Research Centre (UOW): Past Projects in the Womens Health Research Centre (accessed on 9 July 2012)
- Milestones in NZ Sexual Health by Margaret Sparrow, May 2003
- DSAC website: Membership (accessed on 12 July, 2010)
- The New Zealand Companies Office: Doctors for Sexual Abuse Care (accessed on 12 July, 2010)
- DSAC website: October 2007 Newsletter
- The New Zealand Companies Office: 8 Braithwaite Street, Karori, Wellington (accessed on 12 July, 2010)
- RANZCOG website: Abortion in New Zealand, Summer 2007 (accessed on 26 July, 2010)
- website of the Governor General: Carol Shand, 5 Sept. 2008 (accessed on 1 April, 2011)
- Abortion.gen.nz website: Certifying Consultants (accessed on 25 August, 2010)