Cecile Richards (born 1958) works as the President of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, the largest abortion business in the U.S. She is married to SEIU International Executive Vice President Kirk Adams, and has a daughter, Lily Adams.
Cecile Richards is the daughter of Democrat Gov. Ann Richards, the last Democrat to lead Texas (1991-1995). Richards is the wife of Kirk Adams, a fellow union organizer. She was a teenager when she worked on her first election campaign, supporting Sarah Weddington in her race for the State House. Weddington is the Austin attorney who had successfully argued the Roe v. Wade abortion case before the U.S. Supreme Court.
In 2003 Richards founded progressive organization, America Votes. Its website claims that it is the largest grassroots voter mobilization effort in the country, with 260 state-based partner organizations. The group lobbies for the environment, civil and human rights, abortion rights, education and labor.
Texas Freedom Network
In 1995 Richards founded the Texas Freedom Network and the Texas Faith Network to "combat the anti-choice policy agenda of the extreme right in Texas." Of her time working with the Network Richards stated,
- "I had the opportunity to work with fantastic faith leaders from many denominations — the most wonderful, articulate, and thoughtful folks. Some of the best people, such as TFN board member Reverend Larry Bethune of the University Baptist Church, had struggled within their own denominations with the growing political influence of the right. As we were building these networks, we found that the voice of our clergy and religious laity allowed us to reach a broader audience precisely because these leaders are committed to the politics of community and compassion. They are truly engaged in the “sacred work of justice,” as Rev. Tom Davis, a member and former chair of the PPFA Clergy Advisory Board, would say."
Deputy Chief of Staff for Nancy Pelosi
- Clergy Voices: A Conversation with Cecile Richards, volume 10, issue 1, fall 2007 (accessed on Sep. 12, 2012)
- Texas Freedom Network: Board of Directors (accessed on Sep. 12, 2012)
- Planned Parenthood: Cecile Richards (accessed on Aug. 2, 2014)
- Planned Parenthood: Annual Report 2000 - 2001
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund: Clergy Voices, Vol. 10, Issue 1, Fall 2007
- The Washington Post: Cecile Richards, Planned Parenthood's Choice Leader, March 25, 2006 (accessed on Aug. 2, 2014)