Germantown Reproductive Health Services
Germantown Reproductive Health Services is a late-term abortion business located in Germantown, Maryland.
- LeRoy Carhart, abortionist
Summer of Mercy 2.0
From July 31 to Aug. 8, 2011, Operation Rescue, the Pro-Life Action League and a coalition of other national pro-life organizations held an event entitled the "Summer of Mercy." The event was held outside the Germantown Reproductive Health Services facility.
LeRoy Carhart, who commits late-term abortions at the facility announced just before the event began that he would be closing his abortion facility for the week.
During the Summer of Mercy 2.0 event, hundreds of prolife participants converged on Germantown Reproductive Health Services three times a day for formal prayer, worship and keynote speeches by national pro-life leaders. Smaller groups of pro-life activists continued to hold vigil between the rallies throughout the entire 9-day event.
- "This is a huge victory. While this event is in progress no babies will die in Germantown. This is an answer to our prayers."
Summer Celebration of Choice
From July 31 to Aug. 8, 2011, the National Organization for Women conducted a "Summer Celebration of Choice" in response to the Operation Rescue-sponsored "Summer of Mercy 2.0." outside Germantown Reproductive Health Services. Of the event, NOW Action Vice President Erin Matson wrote,
- "From 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (or later) every day, activists from 18 states stood out in 100-degree heat, intense pouring rain and everything in between to support Dr. Carhart, his excellent staff and the women they serve with dignity, compassion and respect. At many points during those nine days we outnumbered the antis. There was no violence, the clinic stayed open, and we did a great job representing the pro-choice majority in this country in the face of an onslaught of misinformation, lies and hatred."
Criminal Investigation over Illegal Dumping
On Feb. 11, 2013, David Williams of the Maryland Attorney General’s Environmental Crimes Unit contacted Janet Kotowski, a sidewalk counselor in Germantown, to notify her that LeRoy Carhart and the Germantown Reproductive Health Services late-term abortion business were currently under investigation. In Nov. 2011, Kotowski had written asking the agency to look into illegal dumping of biohazardous waste and private patient information at the Center. Kotowski's request followed a formal complaint filed with the Environmental Crimes Unit by Operation Rescue in July, 2012. The complaint included edited video and photographic evidence that showed GRHS and Carhart engaged in the illegal dumping on a routine basis. Evidence included:
- Documents containing private patient information concerning birth control prescriptions and abortion procedures, as well as copies of patient driver’s licenses.
- Bloody refuse blood clots and possible human fetal remains.
- Drug control violations.
Cheryl Sullenger of Operation Rescue also spoke with Williams on Feb. 11, agreeing to turn over unedited video-taped evidence of the illegal dumping documented last year to aid in his investigation. Williams told Sullenger, "This is a very serious criminal investigation."
- Address: 13233 Executive Park Terrace, Germantown, Maryland 20874
- Phone: (301) 353-9200 / (800) 848-5471
- [http://www.rtlindy.org/Uploads/Docs/16847_Fall-NL_11%20(3).pdf Right to Life of Indianapolis: “Summer of Mercy” event leads Leroy Carhart to close late-term abortion facility for a week, Vol. 18, Issue 3, Fall 2011]
- NOW: Summer of Choice: What We Learned in Germantown, Aug. 2011 (accessed on Feb. 12, 2013)
- Operation Rescue: Maryland Attorney General’s Office: Carhart Under “Serious Criminal Investigation” in Wake of Abortion Death, Feb. 12, 2013 (accessed on Feb. 12, 2013)