Mary E. Smith (nee Wilcox) (born Dec. 16, 1944) is an abortionist at the Southwestern Women's Surgery Center abortion business in Dallas, TX. She has worked as an abortionist since the early 1970s, working at Denton Health Services for Women and the Fairmount Center abortion businesses.
Mary Smith is married to Joseph A. Smith (born 07/17/48) and has two sons, Brian J. Smith (born 12/29/77) and Mark D. Smith (born 01/28/79). She attends the First United Methodist Church in Denton, TX.
When asked why she commits abortions, Smith responded,
- "I continue to do abortions after 25 years because the voices of gratitude and relief from my patients drown out the hatred and intolerance from the protesters outside. In the small still hours of the night I am at peace with myself and with God, who gave me this mission in life."
In 1971 Smith completed her degree at the Temple University Medical School.
Testimony Re: TRAP Regulations
In 1999 Mary E. Smith, M.D., of Denton Health Services for Women in Denton, Texas, testified in court that so-called "Targeted Regulations of Abortion Providers" (TRAP) regulations would make it impossible for her to continue giving abortions at that location. (She had closed her office by the time the case was heard on appeal.) Dr. Smith claimed she was the only abortion provider in her state north of Dallas and had drawn women in need of her services from as far away as Oklahoma.
According to Vitals.com, Mary Smith is affiliated with the following hospitals:
- South Austin Hospital, Austin, TX
- Seton Southwest Hospital
- Brackenridge Hospital, Austin, TX 78701
- Lakeside Hospital at Bastrop
- Seton Medical Center
First United Methodist Church of Denton
Mary Smith attended the First United Methodist Church of Denton until 2007 where she sat under the teaching of Rev. Don Lee. The church is a member of the United Methodist Church which is a pro-abortion protestant denomination.
Mary Wilcox does not have admitting privileges at a local hospital.
- CBS News: Is a required ultrasound a barrier to abortion?, Feb. 21, 2012 (accessed on March 11, 2012)
- Physicians for Reproductive Choice and Health: Why I Provide Abortions (accessed on Aug. 12, 2012)
- Vitals.com: Dr. Mary E. Smith (accessed on Aug. 12, 2012)
- Barry Yeoman's blog: The New Abortion War, February 2002 (accessed on Aug. 12, 2012)
- Sep. 12, 2012 email from Rev. Don Lee