Presbyterian Church (USA)
The Presbyterian Church (USA) is a protestant denomination which supports a mother's legal right to have her child killed by abortion.
The 1970 General Assembly, the national governing body of the Presbyterian Church (USA), declared that,
- “The artificial or induced termination of a pregnancy is a matter of careful ethical decision of the patient... and therefore should not be restricted by law.”
In 2006 the 217th General Assembly approved the following language clarifying the Church's position on abortion:
- "When an individual woman faces the decision whether to terminate a pregnancy, the issue is intensely personal, and may manifest itself in ways that do not reflect public rhetoric, or do not fit neatly into medical, legal, or policy guidelines. Humans are empowered by the spirit prayerfully to make significant moral choices, including the choice to continue or end a pregnancy. Human choices should not be made in a moral vacuum, but must be based on Scripture, faith, and Christian ethics. For any choice, we are accountable to God; however, even when we err, God offers to forgive us."
Advocacy Committee for Women's Concerns
The Advocacy Committee for Women's Concerns is a committee of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
On March 24, ACWC heard from Glenn Northern, constituency outreach manager for the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, and Nicolette Paterson, director of public policy for the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice. The two met with the group to talk about recent proposed changes to federal funding for Planned Parenthood.
Presbyterians Affirming Reproductive Options (PARO) is one of the ten networks of the Presbyterian Health, Education and Welfare Association (PHEWA). PHEWA was created by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA) in 1956.
Presbyterians Affirming Reproductive Options is a member organization of the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice On July 5, 2010, late-term abortionist LeRoy Carhart was the keynote speaker at a luncheon held by PARO during the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) General Assembly.
- Minutes of the 182nd General Assembly (1970), United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A., p. 891
- Minutes of the 217th General Assembly (2006), Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), p. 905
- Presbyterian Health, Education and Welfare Association: PHEWA Networks (accessed on Aug. 20, 2012)
- Presbyterian Mission Agency: PHEWA - Who we are (accessed on Sep. 13, 2012)
- RCRC: Member Organizations (accessed on Aug. 20, 2012)