Sandra Fluke (born April 17, 1981) is a student at Georgetown University. Since Feb. 2012, she has been an activist for birth control and abortion rights, and has been a vocal supporter of President Barack Obama's re-election campaign.
Law Students for Reproductive Justice
Sandra Fluke has served as co-president of Georgetown Law Students for Reproductive Justice. Georgetown LSRJ is a chapter of Law Students for Reproductive Justice, an organization that trains and mobilizes law students and new lawyers across the USA to foster legal expertise and support for access to legal abortion.
Feb. 16 House Committee Hearing
Sandra Fluke came to the attention of the media when Republicans refused to allow her to testify to the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee on the importance of requiring insurance plans to cover birth control during a discussion on whether insurance should have a contraception mandate. The hearing was held on Feb. 16, 2012. Chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Rep. Darrel Issa stated that Sandra Fluke, was ineligible because she was a student at Georgetown, not a member of the clergy. Georgetown is a Catholic University, and does not insure birth control.
Women's Campaign Fund
On April 2, 2012, Sandra Fluke spoke alongside U.S. Senator Olympia Snowe, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Kathryn Erbe, Debra Winger, Marsha Mason, and Lilly Ledbetter at the 32nd annual "Parties of Your Choice Gala" of the Women's Campaign Fund. The Fund supports women leaders at all levels of government who are committed to supporting legal abortion. The event was held at Christie's Auction House in New York City.
On April 22, 2012, Fluke spoke at the Third Annual Multi-Generational Brunch, hosted by NARAL Pro-Choice America's Future Direction Committee in New York City. Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, presented Sandra Fluke with the Stand Up for Choice Award "for her amazing work speaking out for birth control in the face of a panoply of personal attacks against her."
- "We are inspired by Sandra Fluke, a law student at Georgetown University who continues to speak out in support of contraceptive coverage. Her story has made headlines around the country. After a anti-choice committee chairman said she was not “qualified” to testify about birth control at a congressional hearing that featured an all-male panel, Fluke didn’t back down. She stood up for her beliefs."
On Sept. 4, 2012, Sandra Fluke spoke alongside Newark Mayor Cory Booker, Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards, actress and Planned Parenthood national board member Aisha Tyler, executive director of Young Democrats of America executive director Emily Sussman, and Congresswoman Gwen Moore (D-Wis.) at a rally held by Planned Parenthood during the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.
National Organization for Women
On June 30, 2012, Sandra Fluke received the National Organization for Women's Woman of Courage Award and spoke at the Young Feminists Organizing Plenary at the National NOW Conference.
- SandraFluke.Tumblr.com: GEORGETOWN LAW STUDENTS FOR REPRODUCTIVE JUSTICE’S STATEMENT ON GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY’S ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING CONTRACEPTIVE COVERAGE IN STUDENT INSURANCE, April 26, 2012 (accessed on Sep. 19, 2012)
- LSRJ: Motivation (accessed on Sep. 19, 2012)
- NPR: Law Student Makes Case For Contraceptive Coverage, Feb. 23, 2012 (accessed on Sep. 19, 2012)
- Washington Post: Birth control hearing on Capitol Hill had mostly male panel of witnesses (photo), Feb. 16, 2012 (accessed on Sep. 19, 2012)
- Women's Campaign Fund: 2012 Parties of Your Choice Gala (accessed on Sep. 19, 2012)
- NARAL: We Stand with Sandra Fluke (accessed on Sep. 19, 2012)
- Flickr: YLS - Me with Sandra Fluke!, May 8, 2012 (accessed on Sep. 19, 2012)
- Planned Parenthood: Planned Parenthood Teen Summit Trains Young Activists to Stand Up for Sex Education and Health Care, March 30, 2007 (accessed on Sep. 19, 2012)
- Daily Caller: Planned Parenthood distributes condoms with message: ‘Protect yourself from Romney & Ryan’', Sept. 4, 2012 (accessed on Sep. 19, 2012)
- Catholic News Agency: Planned Parenthood rally speakers frame pro-life views as anti-woman, Sep. 4, 2012 (accessed on Sep. 19, 2012)