Te Mahoe Unit
The Te Mahoe Unit Abortion Business located on Level 3 at the Wellington Regional Hospital was previously known as Level J Unit, and prior to this, Parkview Clinic.
The clinic is located on Level 3 in the Wellington Regional Hospital, Riddiford Street, Newtown, Wellington. The clinic offers pregnancy advice, counselling and termination of pregnancy. The clinic was opened in July 1980.
The Wellington Hospital Board set up the stand-alone Parkview Clinic in 1980 following the passing of the Contraception, Sterilisation, and Abortion Act (1977). The clinic serviced women requiring first trimester (under 12 weeks) abortions. In 2000, the service moved into the Grace Neill Block, Wellington Women's Hospital and became the Level J Unit. On 13 February 2009 the mill's name changed to Te Mahoe Unit.
- Jane MacDonald, abortionist
- Gillian Dawidowski, Acting Team Leader
- Kim Lund (2007)
- Ann Simmons (2007)
- Margaret Sparrow, abortionist (1980 - 1998)
- Carol Shand, abortionist, Senior Clinician (2007)
- W. Kennedy, abortionist
- Jill Shepherd, abortionist
- Mary Jarman, nurse manager
- Annie Muirgen, Senior Social Worker
- Rosemary Fenwicke, abortionist
"Ignore Right to Life Members"
In the Security section of the page on the Pregnancy & Counselling Service at the Te Mahoe Unit, is the following statement:
- "There is often a Right to Life member at the main entrance to the hospital. They are not allowed onto hospital premises. If you are approached, please ignore them and continue to the Unit. They do not know why you are visiting the hospital. If you are followed onto hospital property, please report this to the manager of the Unit and it will be reported to security."
Until a woman has entered the premises, it is acceptable for pro-lifers to attempt to speak with women seeking an abortion or abortion counseling. It is offensive for the Te Mahoe Unit to encourage abortion-minded women to "ignore" members of the Right to Life group.
- Family Services Directory website: Parkview Clinic (accessed 28/4/2010)
- ALRANZ website: About Us (accessed 28/4/2010)
- Abortion.gen.nz website: Abortion in Wellington (accessed on 26 July, 2010)
- ASC Meeting Minutes, 29 May, 2000
- NZ Herald: Plea to teach sex, cut abortions, 30 Dec. 1998 (accessed 28/4/2010)
- RANZCOG website: Abortion in New Zealand, Summer 2007 (accessed on 26 July, 2010)
- RANZCOG O & G Journal, 1998; 38: 1, page 68: Vaginal Dinoprostone Versus Oral Misoprostol for Predilatation of the Cervix in First Trimester Surgical Abortion by Margaret Sparrow, Peter Stone and John Tait
- Abortion.gen.nz: Guidelines for the Use of Mifepristone for Medical Abortion in New Zealand, 2003
- Beehive website: Speech by Mark Burton, MP, 14 June, 2007 (accessed on 22 July, 2010)
- Te Mahoe Unit: Pregnancy & Counselling Service (accessed on 29 August, 2010)