Valerie DeFillipo is the Director of Family Planning 2020. She lives in Washington, D.C.
- 1 Education
- 2 Women’s Medical Center of Washington, D.C.
- 3 Planned Parenthood
- 4 Family Planning 2020
- 5 ICPD
- 6 Friends of UNFPA
- 7 Abt Associates
- 8 2009 International Family Planning Conference
- 9 References
Ms. DeFillipo received her MA from Harvard University and completed her undergraduate studies at James Madison University.
Women’s Medical Center of Washington, D.C.
Planned Parenthood New York City
Margaret Sanger Center
From 1983 - 1991, DeFillipo worked for the Margaret Sanger Center abortion business which is operated by Planned Parenthood New York City. From 1983 - 1986 she worked as Senior Program Officer for the business. From 1986 - 1991 she worked as Regional Representative for the business. In her role as Regional Representative, DeFillipo:
- Worked as Senior program director for the international arm of Planned Parenthood of New York City.
- Was responsible for strategic planning, project design and management, supervision of technical assistance, evaluation and contract negotiations with government bodies, private sector organizations and international donor agencies.
Planned Parenthood of Greater Miami
- Directed reproductive health services, sexuality education and public affairs programs throughout Dade County and the Florida Keys.
- Opened a teen pregnancy prevention center in a strip shopping mall.
- Designed arts and social services collaborations
- Expanded medical sites
- Piloted community-based distribution of contraceptives post-Hurricane Andrew.
Planned Parenthood Global Partners
DeFillipo worked as Director of External Affairs for the International Planned Parenthood Federation from their London, United Kingdom office from 2004 - 2008. While at IPPF, DeFillipo took the lead on the following projects:
- Point person for IPPF’s lead role in organizing the Countdown 2015 Global Roundtable (the civil society review of the 10th anniversary of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD)
- Led a Federation-wide rebranding effort of the IPPF.
- Oversaw the establishment of the Safe Abortion Action Fund.
Family Planning 2020
Friends of UNFPA
DeFillipo served as President of Friends of UNFPA (formerly Americans for UNFPA) from July 2011 - March 2013. Established in 1998, Friends of UNFPA is a New York based group which supports the United Nations Population Fund by mobilizing funds and action for UNFPA’s work.
DeFillipo worked as Vice President/Portfolio Manager for ABT Associates from 2009 - 2011. While here, she provided financial, contractual, technical and administrative oversight to a portfolio of health systems, policy and service delivery projects. She also worked with health divisions in external relations, providing support in the development and management of marketing pipelines and client relations.
2009 International Family Planning Conference
On Nov. 17, 2009, Valerie DeFillipo and Maureen Kuyoh co-chaired a plenary entitled "Neglected Family Planning Issues" at the 2009 International Family Planning Conference. Members of the steering committee for this conference included organizations such as the Guttmacher Institute, Ipas, UNFPA, Save the Children, Marie Stopes International, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.
- IPCI 2014: Speaker Profiles (accessed on July 26, 2014)
- TEDx UN Plaza: Valerie DeFillipo (accessed on July 26, 2014)
- FP2020: Task Team (accessed on July 26, 2014)
- GuideStar: Friends of UNFPA, Inc. - People & Governance (accessed on July 26, 2014)
- Friends of UNFPA: About Us (accessed on July 26, 2014)
- 2009 International Family Planning Conference: Conference Program and Abstracts (accessed on July 26, 2014)