Jerrold Nadler (born June 13, 1947) is an attorney and politician who serves as the U.S. Representative for New York's 10th congressional district. He is a member of the Democratic Party.
- 1 Support for Planned Parenthood
- 2 Opposed 5-Month Abortion Ban
- 3 Supported Partial-Birth Abortion
- 4 Congressional Pro-Choice Caucus
- 5 References
Support for Planned Parenthood
Requested Investigation of Center for Medical Progress
On July 22, 2015, Congresswomen Jan Schakowsky, Yvette D. Clarke, Zoe Lofgren and Congressman Jerrold Nadler sent a letter to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch and California Attorney General Kamala Harris requesting an investigation into the Center for Medical Progress following that organization's release of undercover video footage showing high-level Planned Parenthood officials discussing the sale of aborted baby parts.
Opposed 5-Month Abortion Ban
5-Month Ban "Morally Outrageous"
On June 18, 2013, Jerrold Nadler spoke at a press conference to oppose the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act (HR 1797). During the event he stated,
- "It is morally outrageous, frankly. Here we go again. Every single year we have to go through the same nonsense with the same morally presumptuous, morally arrogant attitude that we know better. ‘We know better than women and their doctors. We know better about their health care. We know better about their moral choices in very personal decisions."
Supported Partial-Birth Abortion
Repeatedly Voted Against PBA Ban
On April 5, 2000 Nadler voted no on HR 3660 which would ban doctors from committing partial-birth abortions. The measure would allow the procedure only if the life of the woman was at risk.
Claimed PBA Ban Would Be Struck Down
On March 25, 2003 at a hearing regarding the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003 before the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary in the U.S. House of Representatives, Subcommittee member Nadler made the following statement:
- "...But the majority is not interested, the majority in this Committee and this House is clearly not interested in a bill that could pass into law and actually be enforced as not contrary to the Constitution. What they want is an inflammatory piece of rhetoric, which even if passed, would be struck down by the Supreme Court. The real purpose of this bill that we are considering is not to save babies but elections."
Congressional Pro-Choice Caucus
As at July 25, 2015, Jerrold Nadler was a member of the Congressional Pro-Choice Caucus
- Website of Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky: Schakowsky, Lofgren, Nadler and Clarke send letter to Attorneys General asking for investigation into Center for Medical Progress, July 22, 2015 (accessed on July 22, 2015)
- CNSNews.com: Nadler: 'Particularly Morally Outrageous' to Ban Late-Term Abortions, June 18, 2013 (accessed on July 22, 2015)
- OnTheIssues.org: Jerrold Nadler (accessed on July 25, 2015)
- Transcript of hearing, March 25, 2003 (accessed on July 25, 2015)
- Wikipedia: Partial-Birth Abortion Act (accessed on July 25, 2015)